On June 25 at 1 p.m. (PT) the B.C. AquaHacking Challenge final will be hosted on the OBWB’s Okanagan WaterWise Facebook page at www.facebook.com/OkWaterWise.
The final will include a keynote speech from Paul O’Callaghan, producer of the documentary “Brave Blue World,” pitches from the five final teams – with an opportunity for the public to vote for their top choice – and the awarding of prizes. Top prize is $20,000 in seed-funding and placement in a start-up incubator to help the team bring their solution to market. An additional $30,000 will be awarded to the other four teams to assist their projects to move forward. The five teams are:
- Elite from UBC Okanagan in Kelowna, tackling stormwater contamination
- GAPSS (Gravity Assisted Particle Separation Systems) from UBC Okanagan in Kelowna, working on stormwater contamination
- Ozero from Sherbrooke University, Quebec, addressing invasive mussels
- Above Atlantis from UBC Vancouver, University of Victoria and Simon Fraser University, addressing flood risk, and
- UniteAG from University of Victoria and Toronto’s Queens University, solving stormwater contamination.
Learn more about the final five teams, their solutions to some of B.C.’s most challenging water issues, the judges, and more here.
Special thanks to B.C. AquaHacking Challenge funders: De Gaspe Beaubien Foundation, RBC Foundation, Real Estate Foundation of BC, Telus Friendly Future Foundation, Teck Resources, IBM, Mitacs, Ovivo and Lavery Lawyers.