The financial structure of the Okanagan Basin Water Board promotes the sharing of resources to move forward on projects that are of high priority and high value to communities.
The OBWB receives funding from senior government agencies, manages finances for collaborative partnerships, and distributes grants for local water quality and conservation projects.
Local dollars leverage funding from other sources and build the Okanagan’s capacity.
1. Water Conservation and Quality Improvement (WCQI)
This program provides funds to local government to support innovative, tangible, on the ground, water quality and conservation improvement initiatives. In 2021, the OBWB awarded $350,000 in Water Conservation and Quality Improvement grants, matching funds from municipalities and private funders.
- Learn more about the WCQI grant program
2. Sewage Facilities Assistance (SFA)
For more than 40 years, sewage facilities grants have helped Okanagan communities make dramatic reductions in nutrient loading to lakes and streams by providing a portion of the costs for new or upgraded sewer infrastructure. In 2016, the OBWB delivered $1,649,030 in Sewage Facilities Assistance grants to local governments to upgrade sewage treatment plants and help communities move from septic to sewer.
- Learn more about the SFA grant program
3. Funding Partnerships
Occasionally, the OBWB funds projects, coordinates funding partnerships, or provides matching funds for water science projects that are undertaken in cooperation with other agencies, researchers or universities.
- Learn more about OBWB funding partnerships
Other Sources of Funding
Follow the links for application requirements, eligibility and deadlines.
- Environment Funders Canada
- CivicInfo BC – Grants
- BC Community Gaming Grants
- Catherine Donnelly Foundation
- Government of Canada Environmental Funding
- Endswell Foundation
- Infrastructure Canada Funding Programs
- Habitat Conservation Trust Fund
- Laidlaw Foundation
- Make Way
- Max Bell Foundation
- Pacific Salmon Foundation
- Real Estate Foundation of BC
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council
- TD Friends of the Environment Foundation
- The Carthy Foundation
- The Ivey Foundation
- The McLean Foundation
- The Weeden Foundation
- Unilever Canada Foundation
- Vancouver Foundation