Workshop and Tradeshow
December 5, 2012
Delta Grand Hotel & Conference Centre, Kelowna, BC
The Water Board, along with its Okanagan WaterWise program, teamed up with the Irrigation Industry Association of BC to present a special day-long workshop in Kelowna on Dec. 5, looking at what water conservation lessons the Okanagan can learn from Las Vegas.
The event featured Doug Bennett from the Southern Nevada Water Authority and many other water experts.
The event was geared to those working in irrigation, landscaping and other water-related businesses, those who make and implement water conservation policy (e.g. local government electeds and staff), as well as interested members of the public.
Below, you will find presentations from the workshop, as well as the news release and media coverage from the event
- Keynote address: Tempering the Thirst of North America’s Driest City – Doug Bennett, Southern Nevada Water Authority
- What Can We Learn from Las Vegas? Overview of Okanagan Water Studies – Anna Warwick Sears, Okanagan Basin Water Board
- The Economics of Water Conservation – John Janmaat, UBC Okanagan
- Conservation Regulations and Enforcement Tools – Deborah Walker, Capital Regional District
- Landscape and Irrigation Standards in the City of Kelowna – Neal Klassen, City of Kelowna
- Standards for Landscape Irrigation Systems – Ted van der Gulik, Irrigation Industry Association of B.C.
- Modeling and Planning Strategies – Ted van der Gulik, B.C. Ministry of Agriculture – Sustainable Agriculture Management Branch
- Water Finance and Rates – Karyn Johnson, FCS Group (financial consultants)
- Okanagan bets on Vegas to help find water solutions (Dec. 5, 2012)
In the News
- Lessons from Las Vegas about water, Kelowna Capital News (Nov. 11, 2012) – PDF
- Okanagan welcomes drought tips from Las Vegas speaker,Vernon Morning Star (Nov. 23, 2011) – PDF
- Okanagan learns from Vegas experience, Kelowna Capital News (Dec. 5. 2012) – PDF
- Lessons in conservation from Vegas, Castanet (Dec. 7, 2012) – PDF
- Grass not greener in Las Vegas, Kelowna Daily Courier (Dec. 7, 2012) – PDF
Learning water conservation from Las Vegas, AM1150 (Dec. 4, 2012) – audio